Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Why I Write Historical Fiction Part 1


 

Hello Readers! 

In my first post on writing terms, I explained that I wanted to do a series of posts during September on why I write Historical Fiction. I'm not sure how many posts I'll manage, but I'm thinking around three. There are several reasons I write HisFic, so I'll try to focus on a different reason each time. Let's get started! 


Write what you know. 

This is often the first piece of advice given to beginning writers. This advice was given to me when I started writing. Without even thinking, I took it. When I was twelve, I made my first real attempt at a HisFic storybook. It featured a brother and sister during the signing of the Magna Charta in 1215. I wrote it for Daddy's birthday since it was shortly after the 400th anniversary of its signing. It wasn't great, but I was very proud of it. This was also when Daddy first brought up the idea of me publishing a book before finishing Highschool.

Growing up momma and daddy read my sisters and me stories that took place long ago. They read us stories of a boy and his dog during WWII, missionaries of long ago, and tales of ancient times. These times contain some of my fondest childhood memories. 

Daddy always taught us that History was important. When he was home from work, we'd often get an impromptu history lesson. History has always been a part of my life. And it will continue to be. 

I hope you all have a lovely week! 

Blessings,

Mattie May


2 comments:

  1. Having impromptu history lessons with your family sounds like a marvelous thing to have while growing up ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, although, I'm not sure I appreciated them at the time XD

      Delete