Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Why A Blog?

Hello Readers!
So I'd better answer the burning question 'Why a Blog?' 
The short answer is because I wanted to, but perhaps you might want the long version... so here ya go. 

When I was young, I took IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing). I had an amazing teacher and was mostly a straight-A student. Most of that was not me, it was daddy and momma. They spent late nights helping me hit deadlines. I think that is when my love for writing began. 

Momma brought up the idea of a blog a few times, but it never got anywhere. Whenever I brought up the idea, it never got anywhere. 

After IEW ended, I didn't really write anything for fun. Maybe a story here and there, but nothing that I remember.

I knew when I had a writing assignment for school I always looked forward to it. I remember reading a story in my 'Reading' book, then proceeding to rewrite it a short story style. 

The first story I remember writing for fun was for daddy. It was a historical fiction taking place during the time of the Magna Charta. My sister illustrated it and we 'published' it by printing out the story and glueing the pages in a book. It was supposed to be the first in a four book series. I'd love to come back and fix it up and write the last three books that never happened. When I wrote that book, daddy told me that he wanted me to publish a book before I graduated high school. I said okay. I had no idea what I had just agreed to. 

Well, I kinda forgot about the idea for a few years, but the love for writing was there. 

We moved and the idea of writing came back. My sisters and I always wanted to make movies, so I wrote a script for a play. It was sad, almost everyone died by the end and I constantly killed off the guy characters since we don't have any brothers.(Sorry to all you guys out there.) 

As my desire to write grew I began researching different classes that I could take that would help me grow in that area. I would show them to daddy, but he didn't really like any of them. 

In August of 2019 daddy found a class. I agreed to do it. If I had any idea of what that meant, I don't know if I would have been so eager. LOL.

I wrote my first full-length novel during NaNoWriMo 2019. It was so hard. But I had an amazing family and amazing encouragement from the Christian teen Thread on the Nano forums. 

In all honesty, given the option I'd love to write another novel and write with the hope of blessing others with my stories. 

As adulthood draws closer, everyone wants to know what I'm going to do with my life. I tell them I'm going to write.

And there you go, my writing life story.

~Mattie May, The Blossoming Writer



2 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet origin for your writing life, and I'm so thankful that you took that class. Otherwise, who knows if you would've found the thread. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Edna, I'm glad I did too and that I decided to check out the forums ;)

      Delete