Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Dealing with Perfection

Hello Readers! 

I'm just gonna start out by saying that I'm not a perfectionist. My family will testify to that. But as I started writing, I realized that I have a perfectionist streak in me when it comes to writing. 

When I started the class to plan, draft, edit, and publish a novel I knew that it wouldn't be perfect. I knew it. I told myself that several times. Then it was the week before I had to publish and I realized how terrible my novel was. I had terrible grammar and several problems with clarity. 

I panicked. I stressed. I cried. 

I was totally overwhelmed I had no idea where to start or how to fix them. The stubborn streak in me wanted to do it alone, but that was impossible. 

I asked for help from a friend of mine who does editing. (R. M. Archer from Scribes and Archers) Honestly, she was amazing! She helped so much. I also had Edna Pellen from Bleeding Ink and Maple at Maple Quill Penning Magic They were all amazing! 

I published it a few days later after some intense editing. 

After I published, I finished reading to my family from the PDF I submitted to Amazon. I found several mistakes. I was horrified. 

I panicked again. I stressed again. I nearly cried again. 

Needless to say I was very upset at myself for not catching a few simple typos. 

What I've been learning:
1) Nothing is perfect. (Only God is perfect, and only He can create perfection)
2) I published my first novel before I turned 18. (For me that is a huge accomplishment even if it isn't perfect. Or as perfect as I want it.)
3) Not that Many People will read it. 
4) I can edit and republish later. 
5) I need to stop obsessing over minor mistakes. 

Well that all for today! What have you been learning about yourself? 

Blessings, 
Mattie May

P. S. If you are ever looking for an editor I highly recommend R. M. Archer! You can check out what she has to offer here: R. M.Archer Editing Services

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand the terror of finding slip-ups when it's too late. But, a good reader will set those things aside and look at what really matters; the story. :)

    It was a privilege to work alongside Archer and Maple and to help the editing process of your lovely debut novel. ^-^

    ReplyDelete