Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Interview with Author Kellyn Roth!


 

Hello Readers! 

I'm so excited about this, I had so much fun getting to interview Kellyn and I hope y'all enjoy the interview as much I did! 

First, a little bit about Kellyn, before we get started!



Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women’s fiction & romance author from North-Eastern Oregon who has independently published multiple novels, the most notable being The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy series. You should definitely call her Kell.

Kell lives on family-owned property outside an unmemorable but historical town with her parents, two little brothers, arbitrary cat, precious border collies, a dozen cows, and lots of chickens. She also possesses a classic, vintage aesthetic which does not at all speak to her country girl side, but such is life.

When not writing, Kell likes to blog, teach writing to her various students, have day jobs which allow her to keep her car properly insured, and spend lavish amounts of money on Dairy Queen french fries. She also likes to talk about Keira Knightley and her own books. Just … way too much. You’ve been warned.

***

~And now, for the interview!~


Mattie: What first inspired you to write?  


Kell: Honestly, there wasn't any one thing. I've been writing stories since I was seven, and before that, my family would write down stories, poems, and songs for me! So I frankly have no clue. I just always have!


Mattie: That's really neat. ^-^ 

Who has encouraged you the most in your writing journey? 


Kell: It's varied a lot from year to year! But it's always been my writing friends, whoever they are in any given season. And, of course, my "real life" friends, who wrote with me and eventually just encouraged me to keep writing. They're really awesome. To name drop - Sonja, Eva, Aimee, and my bestie Bailey.


Mattie: That's neat. My writing friends have been a great encouragement to me as well. 

Why do you write Historical Fiction?


Kell: Because modern-day life is super boring, but I'm not creative enough for fantasy! 😉 But also, I believe history needs to be shared so we don't repeat mistakes - and people need to be better understood regardless of the era.


Mattie: That's very relatable for me. 🙂 

What is your favorite period of history to write about?


Kell: I honestly struggle to pick one, but I do love the 1940s. There's something so snappy about it, from the dialogue to the intense, horrible situations. It has a marvelous chaotic energy.


Mattie: As I've been looking at your novels and short-stories, it seemed that a few were set in that time frame 😉 

Who are some of your favorite Historical fiction authors?


Kell: Well, I have quite a few, but some that come to mind are Kristi Ann Hunter, Karen Witemeyer, Tamera Alexander, Sarah Sundin, Roseanna M. White, Regina Jennings, Julie Klassen, Jesseca Wheaton, and Carrie Turansky


Mattie: I've heard of some of them, I'll have to look into the rest 🙂 

How much research do you normally do before beginning the writing process?


Kell: It depends a lot on the book! Like, for some, especially if it's a continuation of a series, not much at all. For others, I'll have several books to read. But usually I do quite a bit of research mid-draft or while editing, usually for small details.


Mattie: Will you be participating in NaNoWriMo this year?


Kell: Almost certainly! I just haven't chosen a project. 😜 I really have to get on that, says I as I continue to do other things. I'll probably choose just a few days before!


Mattie: What is your current WIP/s about? 


Kell: Well, a couple things I'm working on include:

  1. Book 3 in my series, The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy, which finally have me writing about Alice as an adult!
  2. A novella from that same series set between book 2 and book 3.
  3. A new novel that is a bit of a secret, but it's a Regency romance with a lot of mistaken identities, failed schemes, and ridiculous characters.

Mattie: All of those sound really neat!

What times of the day are your most productive?


Kell: Usually sometime after 10 PM. Unfortunately, I have to be getting to sleep an hour after that! So I make myself work whenever.


Mattie: How much do you plan before writing a novel? 


Kell: I'm the kind of writer who does a pretty detailed outline - I like to know exactly what the characters are going to do at all times. However, I'm not the type to fill out detailed character sheets or such - the characters can develop themselves as far as I'm concerned. It's the plot that needs a little work!



Mattie: How do you get past writer's block? Or are you one of those special people who doesn't get it?


Kell: I do get it, but I just write anyways! I always say writing is no super special creative itch that you somehow can only scratch at certain times. It's a trained skill - and it is possible to train yourself to write on command. That said, there are times when writers need a break - it's important to avoid mistaking burnout for writer's block.


Mattie: That's neat, and a good thing to keep in mind.

Could you tell us a bit about your Growing Writers Program?


Kell: Well, essentially, I'm joining with Faith Blum and Zach Sollie to offer a 12-week program for young writers looking for instruction, encouragement, and critique in the art of fiction writing. Basically, it's our way to offer an advanced course that will help beginners level up as writers. I also do writing coaching on various subjects privately.


Mattie: What would be your piece of advice to a young or beginning writer?


Kell: I'd say "stick with it and don't be prideful because we can all improve and we all need critique to do so."


Mattie: Which is your favorite novel/short story you've written? 


Kell: I think right now that'd be The Dressmaker's Secret. I'm immensely proud of my recent rewrite!


Mattie: Do you have a favorite character from your works or another's? 


Kell: I have quite a few! I adore Peter Strauss, Jordy McAllen, and from my latest project, the unannounced one, a guy named Philip Harriot.


Mattie: Is there anything in particular that makes those characters your favorites?


Kell: Well, Peter is just the gentlest, sweetest, best person on earth. I would die for him - and, probably, he'd die for the world if asked! He's also got the best thoughts on everything.

Jordy is ... well, he has the same personality and habits of my best friend, Bailey. 

Then Philip is just fun. I enjoy writing him with his carefree snark and his lack of concern for what others think of him.


Mattie: Anything else you'd like to share with us? 


Kell: Hmm, no, I think I'm good. Thanks so much for interviewing me!


Mattie: You're so welcome, I had fun!

***

That's a wrap folks, hope y'all enjoyed the interview! 

If you want to learn more about Kell check out her blog here: Lilacs and Reveries. If you'd like to learn more about her lovely books, you can check them out here: Kellyn's Books! You can buy her books on Amazon here: Amazon ~ Kellyn Roth Author.

Have a lovely rest of your week! 

Blessings,

Mattie May


No comments:

Post a Comment