Thursday, June 30, 2022

Character Quotes Blog Tag


 

Hello Readers,

I realized that today was the last day of June. I also realized that I have yet to do a blog post for this month. And so here I am, fashionably almost too late... oops. 

Earlier this month, I got tagged by the lovely Abigail over at Diamonds in the Rough for a blog tag that she created in an attempt to get to know her own characters better. I also need to get to know my characters better, and so here I am, actually doing the blog tag... (I may have a list of tags that I have yet to do... o.o) 

Instructions: take the characters from your current WIP and list a quote that describes each one. It can be something they do, a piece of dialogue they say or something of that nature. Do what you will.

I am going to be taking the 6 main(ish) characters from my WWI disaster WIP. (Please note this story has had minimal editing.)

Jenny Blair

"She was nervous, but wouldn’t admit it. That would show weakness and she was strong; she must be strong in honor of her dad. In honor of all the other men fighting. She would have to find out when she arrived if she would be brave enough. She sincerely hoped she would. She must be brave."

(Possibly my favorite character... she's sweet, strong, and stubborn...)

George Blair

"“I have every intention of us both returning home safely,” George gave his friend a reassuring smile. George felt a shot of adrenaline rush through his body as he said the word safely. Yes, they would both return home safely. George noticed that James’ hands were shaking. Wanting to support his friend, George put a hand on his friend's shoulder. “We'll get home alright, just wait, this war will be over before Christmas,” George hoped that would help. Just then, something deep inside told him that it wouldn’t. That it would be a bloody war, that lives would be lost, that he- and all the men standing with him would never be the same. That they might not return home safely. A sinking feeling made his heart feel like a ship's anchor, cast into a turbulent sea. George tried to push the feelings further down; he had to be strong for James’ sake. For the sake of the men around him."

(Husband, Father, Soldier... what else can I say?)

Mabel Blair

"“You could refrain from encouraging your dad and Mr. James to go get killed.” Mabel replied a little sternly."

(Anxious wife? Yes. Supportive wife? Also yes. Honestly she's really sweet and just cares a lot about her family and friends.)


Kenneth Martin

"No matter what anyone said or thought, he didn’t like the idea of fighting or going off to war. He didn’t like the idea of men killing one another. Kenneth winced as he thought of what it might be like to have a bullet hit him. He never thought of himself as a brave man. How would he fare when he started fighting; would he turn and run like a coward? Would he hold his ground? Kenneth didn’t know, he likely wouldn’t know until his first battle."

(My farm boy turned soldier...) 

Fred Martin

“Kenneth, it is your duty to protect your country; how dare you think you’re going to stay here on this farm for the duration of the coming war!”

(Slightly over patriotic father who wants his son to do what he cannot. Hint, Kenneth does not appreciate it.)

Peggy Martin

“Fred, Kenneth, please, calm down, we aren’t going to be able to help the war by creating one at the kitchen table.” 

“I’m not taking sides; I just want to help. You two need to stay in line or I’ll whip the lotta ya,”

(Kenneth's mother, trying to help and throwing a bit of humor in with it.)

Tag! You're it! 

If you have yet to do this tag, consider yourself, Tagged. 

I hope you all have a patriotic 4th of July and lovely summer! 

Blessings, 

Mattie May

No comments:

Post a Comment